Yard Waste / Leaf Recycling Program
You may dispose of your yard waste by placing it in your weekly trash service except during certain weeks in the fall for the duration of the City's Leaf Recycling program detailed below.
You may take your yard waste to the Earth'nWood facility located at 5335 Strausser Street NW for a nominal fee. For more information on acceptable yard waste and hours see their website here.
Fall Leaf Recycling Program Details
In an ongoing effort to reduce the volume of waste going into landfills, the City of North Canton is now offering Fall Leaf Recycling beginning October 18, 2021 through the week of November 26, 2021.
All leaves must be placed in paper bags. Free paper bags may be picked up during store hours beginning October 9th at Mohler Lumber-True Value while supplies last. Simply take your North Canton Utility bill showing Trash Removal Services to Mohler Lumber-True Value, located at 4214 Portage Street NW, to receive up to 25 leaf bags FREE per customer until November 14th. North Canton City trash removal customers may purchase additional bags as needed.
The first day of leaf pickup is October 18th. The last day of leaf pickup is November 26th.
Please note: Biodegradable paper bags are the only container to be used for leaf pickup. Leaves in plastic bags will not be collected.
This program is available to North Canton City (Kimble) Trash customers only.
Due to an increase in waste during the pandemic and a historic labor pool shortage of qualified CDL drivers, North Canton residents are required to contact Kimble to schedule their leaf waste to be removed. This will allow the Kimble team to maintain customer satisfaction by servicing all residents in a timely manner. Once your leaves are ready, you must call Kimble at
1-800-201-0005 to schedule a leaf pickup in advance.
Please leave only bagged leaves at the curb for collection. No other yard waste items will be accepted.
Contaminants to Avoid
- NO PLASTIC BAGS!
- No sticks, shrubs, or branches
- No rocks, gravel, or dirt
- No grass clippings
- No twine, fencing, hoses, or chains
For further information, contact the Department of Administration.
The city would like to thank Mohler’s True Value for handling the distribution of free bags to our city residents during the 2021 Fall Leaf Recycling program.
Raking or Blowing Leaves or Grass Clippings Into Street Prohibited
Raking or blowing leaves or grass clippings into the street is prohibited in North Canton, as it is in a majority of municipalities.
There are a number of reasons for this policy.
- First and foremost, debris blown into the street is a major problem for storm sewer systems. Leaves and grass clippings clog both grates and pipes, contributing to back-ups and/or flooding. They accumulate in the pipes, not only contributing to reduction in flow but also ponding, giving mosquitoes breeding areas. Ultimately, if and when the leaves or grass clippings make it to the creeks, they reduce flow there as well as use up oxygen, which reduces the viability of aquatic life. This affect further reduces water quality and if the EPA placed more restrictions on Canton’s Wastewater Treatment Plant, this would potentially cost North Canton residents additional sanitary sewer costs.
- Leaves in the street also are a safety problem, especially when wet. Cars can easily fail to stop, sliding on wet leaves. Frozen, they present a problem for both motorists and snow removal.
- Leaves, once they are in the street, are no longer able to be recycled but must be transported to landfills.
For all the foregoing reasons, North Canton has a prohibition against raking or blowing leaves or grass clippings into the street. We request that all of our citizens comply.