Building and Permits
The Department of Development Services is responsible for Administration of the Ohio Building Code and Ohio Residential Code in the City of North Canton and for issuing all permits for new construction additions, or modification to buildings. Below are some helpful resources for applying for and receiving a permit.
Apply for a Permit
Permits can be applied for in person, through the mail, or online. To apply for a permit find the appropriate permit application using the link below and submit it via email, mail, or by bringing it in to City Hall along with the appropriate fees. The Division of Permits provides all permit forms and applications as downloadable documents for applicants to complete prior to submission.
There are two ways you can pay for any permit.
- Online through our convenient Payment Portal; or
- In Person at the Building and permits desk located on the top floor of City Hall (145 North Main Street).
- If paying with a check please make all checks payable to: City of North Canton
- If paying with cash, please bring exact amount. The Building and Permits Desk does not have a cash drawer.
A complete list of permits fees can be found in our Fee Schedule.
- If a permit is under $200.00, there is no refund.
- If over $200 and no inspections were performed, 75% of the money will be refunded back to the person or company who actually paid the fee(s) not including the Ohio Board of Building Standards' Assessment provided no inspections were performed.
- If over $200 and inspections were performed, 75% of the money will be refunded back to the person or company who actually paid the fee(s) not including a) the Ohio Board of Building Standards' Assessment and b) $75.00 for each inspection performed.
Example #1: $200.00 (permit cost) x .75 = $150.00-$2.00(1%) (based on original permit cost) =
$148.00 Refunded amount.
Example #2: $400.00 (permit cost) - $150.00($75.00 X 2 inspections) = $250.00-$4.00 (1%) (based on original permit cost) = $246.00 x .75 = $184.50 Refunded amount.
Find a Previously Issued Permit
If you have already received your permit and need to find it again for any reason you can look up your permit using our permit and inspection database.